Tuesday, July 13, 2010

ジブリ美術館 The Ghibli Museum

Sunday was the best day of my life. However, before I get to that I will talk about my Saturday.
Saturday was a gorgeous day in Tokyo. I went to the Imperial Palace early in the morning and then went to the JCII Camera Museum and looked at all the old cameras. At the museum, there was a gallery of photos of trains. It reminded me of the Hogwarts Express :). It was a good morning and afternoon.
At night I took a trip to Akihabara and got a little overwhelmed. I probably should go back again because I didn't find a camera lense I was looking for, but there were a lot of really good ones for cheap cheap cheap. I may have to reorganize my finances and see if I can afford one :).
After Saturday I was exhausted. However, Sunday was coming and what I didn't know was that it was going to be a great day.
I woke up early and headed off with Cameron to the Ghibli Museum. Tired as I was, I was super excited. To me, this was the Totoro Museum essentially. One of my favorite movies since I was 3, I was jumpping up and down on the inside and I couldn't wait to get there, though I'm pretty sure I kepy my cool well.
The museum was gorgeous. The outside building was designed beautifully. It was hidden in a forest of the greenest trees. The windows were all stained glass of Miyazaki characters and the inside had tiny, secret doors. It was like it came from the mind of a genius, which it infact did. The first floor had some pretty interesting art pieces. There was one that was made of clay figures and a stobe light was blinking on them and it looked like they were all moving around. There were wooden, moving scenes and "3D" art work. They had film reels of mini shorts and you could see the actual film, which wasn't too impressive for me because I work at a movie theater, but the way they had the reels was super creative and interesting.
The 2nd floor was all concept art and story boards and cells. I loved it. I was breathless. It was amazing to be seeing some of the original drawings by Miyazaki. I saw Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away...so much greatness was hanging on those walls :). I was so impressed.
Also on the 2nd floor was a little room with mini cat buses where kids under 10 could run around in. I was so jealous. They were so cute!! I wanted to be 10 and run around in one.
The 3rd floor had a bigger cat bus room for small children and the gift shop. It also led to a porch that a spiral staircase to the roof, where there was a giant robot statue. The place was gorgeous. I found a book in the gift shop and apparently there's a private room at the museum where animators have signed a wall saying they've been there. People like the ever-epic Pixar genius John Lasseter had signed the wall. I almost died and I wish I could see that wall in person, but it was not for my eyes (yet).
It was then that I convinced myself that I was going to try in itern at Pixar. Yes, Pixar. I will stop at nothing to be able to get an intership there. Everyone will see, this will happen. I will intern there.
Also at the museum I saved a giant blue butterfly from being trapped inside the museum forever. It landed on my finger and I took it out to the porch and let it free :). It was pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment